From self-driving cars to intelligent robotic assistants to remote surgical systems, autonomous technology will revolutionize the way we live, work, and play. In order to enable this revolution, however, advancements in foundational research and workforce development must first take place to provide assured and certified-safe performance.
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign’s new Center for Autonomy will enable high-impact research and develop new educational programs for students and professionals. The Center will play an important role in designing innovative systems that can function autonomously, or without human intervention, in a safe and reliable way.
Application areas include:
- Agriculture – the farm of the future
- Transportation – safe deployment of autonomous vehicles
- National Defense – revolutionizing human-robot-autonomous teams
- Health Care – changing care for those in need
- Manufacturing – the emergence of Industry 4.0