The M.Eng. in Autonomy and Robotics program is a non-thesis, non-research degree program. Applicants must hold either a bachelor’s or master’s degree in natural sciences or engineering. In addition, applicants must have at least a 3.0 or higher GPA in their last two years of undergraduate study.
International students whose native language is not English must submit TOEFL or IELTS Exam Scores.
Spring 2023 Enrollment
November 1, 2022: international students
December 1, 2022: domestic students
Fall 2023 Enrollment
May 1, 2023: all students
How to Apply
All parts of the application, including the application fee, must be received by the application deadline. Late applications may not be accepted. In addition, incomplete applications will be subject to denial. All admission decisions will be communicated via email to the email address provided in the application.
- Complete the university's online application.
- Pay the application fee – $70 for US citizens and permanent residents and $90 for international students. Application fee must be paid using a credit card through the online application and is non-refundable.
- Submit/upload unofficial transcripts for all completed university coursework with the Online Application. Official transcripts will be required upon admission and acceptance to the program. If offered admission, you must submit final, official academic credentials from the institution/s within one month of the start of the semester to the Graduate College.
- Submit of 3 Letters of Recommendation. Individuals writing letters of recommendation on your behalf should submit their letters through the online application system.
- Submit a Statement of Purpose. This is a part of the online application form. Please use the Academic Statement of Purpose to describe your (within 1000 words): (1) academic interests in Autonomy & Robotics; (2) academic background and training; (3) motivation for pursuing graduate studies in Autonomy & Robotics; and (4) medium-term career plans.
- Submit a resumé. This is a part of the online application form. Your resumé should address your education, job experience, remarkable achievements, publications, organizations, awards, and leadership experiences.
- All applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit the results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) as evidence of English proficiency. Official scores are required to be submitted directly from TOEFL/ETS or IELTS. For more information, please visit English Proficiency Requirements. Please note: TOEFL or IELTS scores must be less than two years old from the first day of class at the proposed term of entry in order to be valid. International students may check to see if they are exempt from this requirement based on their country of citizenship.
- Check your status of your application materials to ensure all materials have been submitted.
At this time, the GRE is optional. If you have already, or plan to take the GRE, you may submit your scores to the Graduate College using institution code number 1836. If GRE scores are submitted, they must be official. (Please follow the Graduate College instructions on submitting Test Scores.)
Financial Certification Form
If admission is offered, international applicants must submit the Financial Form and certification of finances. This form does not need to be submitted with the application materials.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for the 2021-2022 academic year for the Master of Engineering in Autonomy and Robotics follows the Graduate and Professional Tuition rate for Engineering on the Office of the Registrar website.
Tuition does not include books, living expenses, and University of Illinois fees, i.e. health insurance and facilities fees. For more information, visit the Office of the Registrar website.
Students are encouraged to visit the Office of Student Financial Aid as well as these external resources:
- University of Illinois Financial Aid Resources – www.osfa.illinois.edu/types-of-aid/international-students
- Financial Aid for International Students – www.edupass.org/finaid
- Institute of International Education – www.iie.org
- International Education Finance Corporation –www.ifc.org/wps/connect/corp_ext_content/ifc_external_corporate_site/home
- International Education Financial Aid – www.iefa.org
- International Students – www.internationalstudents.org
- International Scholarships – www.internationalscholarships.com/
Learn more about the application evaluation process